Rolling Road Test Facility
In 2015, the VDL Groep and their collaborating partners completed the Rolling Road and dynamometer test facility. This truly unique facility located at the Automotive Campus in the south of Holland houses one of the biggest test benches in Europe.
Designed and developed by VDL Weweler, the objective is to offer an indoor alternative for outdoor endurance testing and to assess the axle and suspension behaviour of heavy vehicles such as trucks, buses, trailers when they are exposed to (severe) vibrations.
Together with the Eindhoven University of Technology and the HAN University of Applied Science the Rolling Road was benchmarked and calibrated to simulate an outdoor test track. Decennia of outdoor testing on the DAF and MIRA test track, provided VDL Weweler with the necessary reference-knowledge to create a starting point from where (future) test results from the Rolling Road will provide additional (specific) know-how.
- Fatigue testing
- Endurance testing
- Behavioural testing
- Vibration testing
- Performance testing (Without cleats)
- Brake testing (Without cleats)
- Calibrating of simulation models
- Unique optimisation & improvement tool.
- Testing under controlled circumstances.
- Cost saving. (No need for complete vehicle combination of truck and trailer)
- No need for special outdoor (cobble-stoned) test track.
- Time saving. (Improved development time equals to lower development cost.)
- The electrically driven test bench results in a smaller footprint on the environment.
- Brakes and drivetrain can be tested simultaneously when the Rolling Road is used as a dynamometer.
- More realistic axle behavior. (In comparison to a hydro pulse test bench.)
As of 2019 VDL Weweler opens the doors of this facility to the outside world. The Rolling Road is now also available for you as a valuable addition to your R&D process.
If you are interested and want to find out more about the Rolling Road and its possibilities for you, please do not hesitate to contact us by using below contact form.